Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Women of SF Spinsters

There's something empowering about being in a room with the creme de la creme. I'm not talking about millionaire CEOs. I'm talking about the highly sophisticated and motivated members of Spinsters of San Francisco. It's hard to believe that nearly one year ago, I was trying to join this organization that I knew very little about. I was looking for an in to meet new girlfriends and diversify my current "to-dos".

There are many ways to explain Spinsters. A post college sorority is an easy stereotype, but hardly describes these ladies in the proper light. Drinking in the name of charity is another quick way to exit the question - "what is a Spinster?" But honestly, that's hardly just or dignified. These ladies have drive. They are college educated, many with advanced degrees. They want to better our community on not only a city level, but a national level. These are the girls that become your best friends, accidentally. They push themselves, grad school, work, marathons, charity parties. They make the daunting tasks of bi monthly meetings something to look forward to. They are an inspiration to me, and I am grateful to be called one of them.

I walked into the Elks Lodge last night forgetting what the camaraderie of Spinsters truly means. It is not an organization for everyone, but I have been lucky enough to fall into the right crowd. I've been distant the past few months for many reasons, but none that I feel like pinpointing. The GMAT studying is consuming me right now, and will continue to do so for the next 6 weeks. But it's these ladies that help me remember why I joined Spinsters. I do enjoy hands-on philanthropy and bettering the world one child at a time, but walking into a room full of friends is a feeling hard to beat. Without missing a beat, you'll simply be asked how you are. It doesn't matter that you have "disappeared" from the forefront of once common rendez-vous. The important thing is you're there to talk, to laugh and to bond. Thus far, I can't explain what Spinsters means to me, but the experience has been one I treasure.

No comments: