Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Homecoming 2007

The mountain towers the football stadium and places itself in the bright blue sky. The cheers blaze - "shoulder to shoulder, we will fight, fight, fight fight fight!". It's the true treasure of college football. The big game - CU, an unranked opponent of number 3, OU. The endzone is packed with fans in red. They were all convinced that OU would come out on top. With a 24-7 lead at half, I was almost convinced as well. But not a moment too soon did CU start one of the best offensive/defensive drives I've witnessed from the sideline. It was breathtaking. The boys in black and gold put their heart into this game and came up on top - victorious - in one of the best games since CU trampled Nebraska in 2001.

The city was fully alive. We walked to Pearl to grab pizza at Old Chicago. Everyone was out in full force and celebrating. I'm not sure any of them went home between the game and the evening of debauchery.

It's days like that, that remind me why I fell in love with Boulder. Strangers are never strangers for long and friends are plentiful. It's your quintessential college town nestled at the base of the Flatiron mountains. The perfect weather begs you to walk to your destination instead of drive. I wish I had time to stay longer, but I don't think my body or liver would have liked it.

No comments: