Monday, November 19, 2007

My Body & WW III

Monday morning is always interesting after a weekend full of soccer. It's the day I get to truly assess all my injuries. Saturday, I had a "make or break" game for my women's season.

Here are the logistics: I play in division 1 of the GGWSL. There are a total of 6 teams in division 1. At the end of this season, there are two teams challenging into the GGWSL - one is challenging into premier and one is challenging into first. Automatically, the last place team in each division gets relegated - moves down to the division below the current division they are in. Thus, these challenge matches will be played against the second to last team in each division. Essentially, if both challenge matches are won, two teams from premier and three teams from first will get relegated. Basically, this means, Rip Tide, my team, must place 3rd in order to guarantee we aren't relegated.

The Game: We warmed up on a foggy, misty San Francisco afternoon. We were pumped, knew what we had to accomplished, and everyone was determined not to risk playing division 2 next season. There shouldn't be a stigma with division 2, but in essence, there is. The competition was laid out, the defender that shot the most - on frame - would win. That defender was me, drilling the second of three goals into the back of the net from 30 yards out (with my left foot). The ball arched, and skimmed the back of the net, all the way down. WOW! What a feeling. Pulling off the 3-1 victory was just the beginning of a GREAT Saturday.

After my game, I swung my Mary's to see friends and have chips and dogs. Next, I went to Sam's to wish him a grand ol' HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Finally, I met up with the group at Circa for Kym's birthday. A new friend, came by, as he said we would and a group of us went dancing at HiFi. Jenna and I then grabbed shakes at Johnny Rockets. What an AWESOME night!

Sunday was a little early for my liking. The alarm went off at 7:40 am after a little less than 5 hours of sleep. I contemplated not showing to my 9 am game, but I'm addicted to soccer, so I got out of bed and kept moving. We were down 0-2 at the half, but luckily we have "finishers" and won 4-2. I grabbed a quick bite to eat and headed to some high school at the opposite end of the city to help my old Sunday team with their final season game and first playoff match. I had solid tackles and a few nice clears, but I also got knocked a few times. In the second game - the playoff match - a guy leveled me. I'm not quite sure which direction he game from, but I was not expecting it at all and today, my shoulder aches. Hopefully it's only temporary.

Returning home after 3 soccer games, I knew I would be in bed early and I was - passed out by 7 pm. It felt very good! :D

I saw this quote on someone else's blog:

Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n’y a plus rien à ajouter, mais quand il n’y a plus rien à retrancher.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Terre des hommes, 1939

It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wind, sand and stars, 1939

No comments: