Thursday, May 01, 2008

Stepping Out of the Driver's Seat

I've figured it out, I have problems being a passenger, both figuratively and literally. Let's start with literally. When I go places with friends, which is quite often, I ALWAYS drive. Perhaps this is why I don't mind being the DD. I like the control of being able to say when we leave and where we go. Now, don't get the wrong impression, I'm not bossy and more often than not, I'm open to suggestions. Additionally, most of my friends look towards me for the planning anyhow, so it isn't as if I force this upon them. You could say, it's my role in the 'group'. Yes, I'm a bit of a leader, be it intentional or not, however, I do know when I need to listen more and act less.

Now to figuratively. I've been training my replacement and as excited as I am to quit my job, I suppose I'm a bit scared. What the heck am I going to do for 3 months? I had glorious plans to travel the globe and though I have not written them off, the plans are on hold until I figure out my personal life. A whole other convo I'm not about to start right now. Yesterday, my trainee was at a conference all day, which I was quite happy about considering I played a little too hard on Tuesday night. I didn't do anything productive yesterday - read - I chatted online, surfed the web, caught up on personal email and the like. There again, we've been working so hard that it wasn't as if there was anything to do. Needless to say, my trainee returned from the conference and said that my boss would like him to start answering the phone more (one of the admin duties I must complete in a small office) and sit in the driver's seat starting tomorrow (as in today).

And so, I let him. He ran all the morning reports and then produced the monthly statements and updated batch intervals. He had questions here and there, but for the most part I leaned back in my chair, feet up on the desk and let him drive. WHAT A WEIRD FEELING?!? I've been here for just under 4 years and know all the inner workings of the company and all of our accounts. It's definitely going to take him some time to get to my level of knowledge and so, as I watch him struggle, I do my best not to barge in. I suppose he's gotta learn it on his own. All the same, I don't know if I can handle this for TWO MORE WEEKS! Perhaps I need to bring in a book or read the rest of my pre-matriculation modules.

3 comments:

Mo Zhou said...

At least your trainee is trying to learn. I'm suppose be buddy for this new hire now. ah... it's driving me crazy. I can't help to be sarcastic. like one time I have him set up for this lab experience. I'm about to get out of his way tell him enjoy. He's like can you stay here? I was like 'you don't know how to follow instruction?' Because I made this detailed instruction list for him. ah.... then he looked at me 'begginly' I was so pissed I broke a pen in my hand. eh... it's going to be a long month.

JulyDream said...

Ha. I was thinking about that today... at least he's a nice guy. We're working in TIGHT quarters and I'm not too annoyed yet. ;)

Oren said...

I don't even have a replacement yet. On the other hand, I'll be working 'till mid July (!) so we've got time.
See you in 3 months. Who knows, we might even be in the same section.