Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Darden Connection

I'm not sure why I'm surprised. Since the day I started investigating Darden, I've heard of the network. I experienced the network in San Francisco and quickly became sold on the school. So why is it when I'm working for one of the largest corporations in the world am I surprised that some very senior Darden alums are willing to spend a couple minutes with me?? Honestly, I don't know.

It's fascinating to hear how they ended up where they are, and it also gives me a good perspective if there type of position should be my dream. One of the alums with whom I spoke yesterday grilled me a little - though not in a bad way. He simply was trying to figure out what makes me tick. What is my passion? What do I want to do? Not in the sense of, I'd like to work in M&A or Corp Fin, but more along the lines of, are you quant driven? Do you like details? The big picture? Traveling? Staying put? Challenges? Theoretical discussions? Philosophy? Anything!

This alum also gave me the names of additional alums, some of them quite senior, and so as I sit here at 6p finishing up a spreadsheet, I thought I'd email a few of them. Within moments, one replied asking his secretary to setup lunch. I seriously feel high on life!!

BTW, still LOVE Pandora. I can put the headphones on and get into the zone. Back to it.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Pandora is awesome. It was blocked in Canada back in 2007 and I am looking forward to being able to take advantage of it again next year!

André P. Santos said...

Also love Pandora, unfortunately it is blocked for Colombia... luckily there are Portuguese radios that broadcast online so I can kill a little the homesick feeling...

Metal said...

Hey, you recommended Pandora to me way back in Febrary 2008 and ever since I am hooked to it! Thanks for the reco! Cheers

MechaniGal said...

Hey! I love this thing about Darden alums, how they're so willing to set a little time aside for us. And it's great that you've been able to get in touch with these alums in the firm. You should be totally high on life :) Have a great weekend!

Mo Zhou said...

Hey still remember me :P as my blog disappear. I figure I should stop and say hi and let you know i'm heading to Yale in the fall