Sunday, June 22, 2008

Violated

Yesterday was an incredible afternoon spent up North in the heat for a friend's housewarming party. On my way South, my friend and I stopped in SF to meet some friends and discuss the night's festivities. Turns out my friend managed to forget to transfer everything into her purse, including some form of identification. After short deliberation, I let her take my car to pick up her ID so that we could all go out. Roundtrip, the drive is about an hour. I tend to be quite anal about my car and rarely let anyone drive it unless I am in it. Even then, it amounts to less than 1% of my overall driving, but she is a good friend and a good driver, so I entrusted her to be careful.

She returned as quickly as she could and soon enough we were out on the town. It was a great night with the girls and I slept soundly on the slightly slanted futon. Unfortunately, my morning was met with despair when I got to my car. I went to unlock the car and realized that it was already unlocked. At first, I thought nothing of it, but then I opened the door to find what little I had in disarray. Chargers, iPod shuffle, 2 pairs of designer sunglasses, an empty Coach purse and my soccer bag, stolen. It's an incredibly frustrating feeling as I feel in someway it's my fault. I should have either a) gone with her or b) headed home instead of giving her the responsibility. She didn't say much, but she swore she locked it. Indeed, I don't doubt she tried, but it's hard to believe it when all evidence is against it. Additionally, I suppose I'm more comfortable with the thought that my car was open than someone had a magic key that duplicates my remote access.

I'm desperately trying not to be mad at her, though I do feel a lot of frustration towards her and that almost makes me feel guilty. I would have liked a little more remorse or perhaps a couple words of comfort instead of an awkwardly silent drive home. Nothing is irreplaceable, however, the hassle is enough to drive me crazy.

3 comments:

HairTwirler said...

Ugh! (To the car theft.)
I'm on the panel Saturday morning about surviving your first semester so if that's on your schedule hopefully I'll bump into you there! That or the career fair...
-Jamey

tinydancer said...

That's awful. I had my wallet stolen once - it was the worst feeling!

Anonymous said...

There aren't many things that are more frustrating than having your personal property stolen or violated. I have had that happen to me a few times. It will piss you off for a while, but you will soon forget about it.

As an aside, thanks for your consistent blog entries, especially the ones about the GMAT. They are very comforting and motivating. I just took the GMAT, and vastly exceeded my expectations. Thanks again!