Saturday, June 07, 2008

I should be excited about packing!

In 3 hours, I'm supposed to be at my best friend's house for her husband's surprise 30th birthday. Three hours after that, I will head to the airport to catch my redeye to St Thomas, USVI with a layover in Newark. A week on the beach sounds fabulous right now, though I'll be honest, I may need Betty Ford when I return. My girl friend plans to skip check-in and go straight to the beach bar. I have a feeling it's going to be a whirlwind.

Decisions have been difficult for me lately and thus, so have commitments. I always seem to be waiting on someone else for dates and times. I'm trying to fit in my friends because I know I'm leaving, but I also know that I need to start doing my thing if they can't commit. As I avoid packing, I finally decided to book my ticket to Germany. I had originally wanted to visit my boyfriend in Boston, but with his new job, it's been difficult to tie down dates. So, I leave here on the 26th of June for New York to attend the Forte Conference and see some friends. I take a redeye out on the 28th to Berlin and after a week in Germany, a stop in Prague and a bonafide German wedding, I return to SFO on the 7th of July, but that's not without a layover in Vienna and another in Toronto. Not exactly sure why I put myself through the travel, but hopefully my youth will keep me sane.

Between St Thomas and New York, I'm trying to fit another trip. It might be Boston for 5 days, but if that doesn't work, I'm thinking San Diego. I've lived in California for over 20 years, been to various exotic locations, but I have never stepped foot in San Diego. I know the weather may not be perfect this time of year, but I have time and as mom keeps reminding me, don't let grass grow under your feet. This time will never be here again and once August starts, I'm going to be working my butt off.

This week I met with my roomie to discuss logistics for our place. She is moving out over 4th of July weekend and then leaves for home (London) on the 10th of July. I envision our place as quite bare as neither of us plan on bringing much from the West coast. Definitely clothes, but the rest may simply stay in California. I suppose we'll decorat at the beginning of school and hopefully find a couple bargains for tables/chairs and maybe a couch.

Sometimes it seems too far away then I think, I've booked trips through July 7th and 3 weeks later it's August. July 18th is my birthday and July 19th is supposed to be my large going away party, which I may just cancel. I guess I'm not prepared to bid farewell to everybody. I know I'll be back if for nothing else, Christmas with the fam. Plus, I simply dropped the ball on planning - venue, time, etc... July 25 through the 27th, I return to Vegas for a bachelorette party and ideally, I'll start living in C'ville on August 4th, permanently.

Suppose it's time to quit procrastinating.

“Some stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity…” – Gilda Radner

2 comments:

Bianca Reagan said...

I'm from St. Thomas! Why aren't I going there for my vacation? Oh yeah, because 13 years was enough for me. :) But you have a good time!

Anand said...

I like the quote. Have fun traveling before you get here!