Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Musical Chairs

Q4 kicked off last week! (...at least I believe it was last week, the days run together.) And you may be thinking, so what's new in Q4? The newest aspect of Q4 is that in 3 of 5 of my classes, I got to select my own seat! Sounds nifty huh? Well, I've decided I miss the days of sitting in one classroom all day and having my professors do the rotating. It sounds ridiculous, but being able to leave the computer in one place for a solid 5 hours. These days I never plug into the internet, simply because it is more stuff to unpack and repack. Throughout the day, I check almost everything via blackberry, which means outlook doesn't update until I get home. This is definitely a very new feeling.

Of course, I'm sure you can assume that I also have 3 new classes that are not in section. That's right, this quarter I selected the electives Valuation, Global Financial Markets, and Financial Reporting & Analysis. In retrospect, I probably should have taken an "easy" class. Basically something that's a little lighter on the work and reading, but it seems I've enjoyed the agony and pain that I've been through since August. (Ok, maybe it isn't THAT bad. Though 30 pages of Ethics reading week after week has been a bit much.) Leading Organizations feels like an extension of strategy and Ethics is always an interesting discussion. My Valuation professor is likely one of the best at Darden. I can't believe he teaches 3 separate classes of Valuation and still manages to keep the same high energy level at 3p that he has a 8am. For GFM I have Professor Warnock again, who is downright badass. He knows his stuff, which I'm sure has something to do with the fact that he worked at the Fed. He has also invited 3 guest speakers this quarter, which should make the class even more engaging. And the best part about Financial Reporting and Analysis is my tag-team professors - yes, that's 2 professors, 1 class.

On a completely unrelated note, as I was writing this post, mom sent me this link to a video that features my god-sister. So proud of all she's accomplished at 17!!

1 comment:

MechaniGal said...

Your valuation prof: what can I say! I just want to know one thing: where does he get his energy from?? I walk by the afternoon session classroom and he's jumping around the class! WOW!
GFM is one class I wish I hadn't let go. Oh well.