Thursday, January 03, 2008

Anonymous

As I cruised the blogosphere and posted my comments today, I noticed a few comments from "Anonymous". Anonymous posting is an interesting paradox in the blogosphere. On one hand, this person wants their thoughts to be read and interpreted, but not enough to claim them as their own. I suppose I could empathize with anonymous comments on a severely controversial blog which may cause problems in one's personal life, but given that many applicant blogs are simply about each of our experiences, both successes and woes, I guess I don't understand the true controversy that warrants an anonymous post. Or is it these commentators are simply too lazy to fill in their personal information? We don't ask for your social security number and birth date in order to steal your identity, but we do ask for a name. And as most people in the blogosphere use one, we'll settle for an alias.

Any thoughts?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No thoughts here :-). But really what difference does it make whether it's anonymous or some made up alias?

Mo Zhou said...

Yeah, I agree. Anonymous seems less personal, usually will not start a dialog. I think most of them are just too lazy to fill out the personal information or start their own blog or something ...

JulyDream said...

HappyBunny hit in on the head! If your commentator is anonymous, to whom do you respond?


...suppose in the end, it probably doesn't matter at all. Just something I noticed this morning as I sifted through my crazy workload. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's the laziness. And it's not like these blogs have thousands of comments and you can't trace the responses to the comments.

Unknown said...

Well, in my blog I only allow "real people" to comment.. or should I say "real aliases"? Lol.

Achilles said...

Actually, i myself was thinking on these lines sometime ago...there was this comment from an anonymous to which i wanted to respond, but to whom do i respond?? :)

mbarunnergirl said...

I heart my blogging buddies and the community that we have, which at times requires communication with each other! :)

Anonymity's loss.