Friday, January 25, 2008

Passion

My review went well today. Bonus - Check. Raise - Check. Positive comments - check, check. But then we started discussing what's on the horizon. Indeed, my bosses would love for me to stay, however, they also support me in my decisions. I was asked if I would consider staying if business school doesn't work out this year, and in turn, they would help frame my position in a manner to make me a stronger candidate next year. The offer is great, though, I don't want to be in operations anymore. I mentioned I needed to find my true passion.

I have always loved numbers, but shied away from being an accountant. I like puzzles and putting the pieces together - or finding the missing piece. Perhaps this is the reason consulting interests me. Corporate finance is another realm I haven't discounted, but I'm not exactly sure how to break into corporate finance without starting from the bottom again. ...I like my salary a little more than that. I've contemplated taking the next year and applying to a few consulting firms if things with school don't work out, but then that may postpone school for too long. It may be bad to say, but I am a woman and as much as I want a high profile career, it'd be nice to have a family as well. This is something I'd like to do before the family.

Can you tell I'm avoiding work today?

What are you passionate about?

2 comments:

Achilles said...

What are you most passionate about? :)

This seems to be Darden essay#1. and i really dont think i answered that question from my heart. So its not unexpected that i didnt get their call :)

ATB

Mo Zhou said...

passion is something make your heart jumping in triple digits. :P Hope the business school thing will work out for you this year. cross my fingers for ya, and toes.