Tuesday, June 19, 2007

US Soccer's Idenity Crisis

I came across a post today by Slate. It's a slide show about the US Soccer team's growing uniform crisis. I found it ironic seeing I recently attended a game at the beginning of June. As much as I love the game, I will admit, that I've recently become a fan. I don't own a US soccer jersey and I was trying to figure out what to wear to the game. I opted for a bright red USA sweatshirt that was bought half-off in Canada after the Olympics. Roots, a Canadian company, made all the gear for USA, Great Britain, Canada, and few smaller countries. Needless to say, I can empathize with the identity crisis. I saw people in jerseys, MLS gear and various colored t-shirts/tanks. Why is it, most sports in our nation can get a crowd to match, but out national soccer team has an identity crisis? They need a national vote on what the jersey should look like. Pick one, stick with it. I like the quote about Mexico's jersey, "the national team is the jersey, the jersey is the national team." We need to strive for that.

No comments: