Monday, July 16, 2007

Holy Sh*t!

I think I'm still in shock. Perhaps it's just delirium. Whatever it is, it feels good. The day started off fine as you can see from my last post. I had breakfast and worked out a few math problems. I wanted to get the juices flowing before the test. I had briefly googled the address so that I would have an idea where I was going, although I didn't bother to print directions because I have GPS. Needless to say, this was a BIG mistake. The testing center is on Filbert, but on the opposite side of Coit tower near Sansome. Needless to say, I ended up in the hills of North Beach, half lost and half freaking out. I had left with plenty of time to get to the testing center and planned on arriving 30 minutes prior to test time, thankfully. I called mom in a panic, but quickly hung up and called the testing center instead. The friendly voice on the other line was happy to help me. I finally made it with about 5 minutes to spare.

By this point, I was on the verge of breakdown. I had wanted everything this morning to go smoothly. I signed in, took a deep breath, and grabbed some water. This was it. The plan was to take this once and only once. I had a score goal, but I'll admit, it wasn't very high. So I went in and it began.

The test starts with back to back essay questions. There are two optional 10 minute breaks, one after the essays and one after the quantitative section. I took the first one after the essays. I grabbed water, borrowed the restroom and immediately returned to the testing both. There was no reason to dilly dally. At the end of the math, I wasn't sure how I did. Again, I took the break allotted and followed the same routine.

The math was over, it was time to focus on the verbal. It wasn't until the last 5 verbal questions that I started thinking about my score. At this point, I glanced at the time and realized that I needed to focus. The score in the past wasn't going to change.

I finished the test with about a minute left. I was definitely cutting it close, but I guess that's how you want a test like this to end. I wasn't rushed at the end, just chugging. After the test you have to decide whether you want to keep or dismiss your score. You don't get to preview it and if you dismiss it, it vanishes as if you never took the test. As I noted before, I wanted to take this once, so I opted to keep it. The score quickly flashes and my jaw dropped. I scored a 690. I thought it must be wrong, but then of course, it occurred to me that it wasn't. I wanted to scream, laugh, cry, and jump for joy. Pure shock.

I left my phone in the car and didn't have a signal in the garage. Of course the first person I called was my mom. I called a couple friends after that, but most of them did not answer their phones. I went straight to work and the day has been a haze ever since. My dad called me at work telling me how proud he was. It made me feel good. :) I did it. It's finally done. Time to celebrate.

On another note, this is a great quote I stole from a friend:

"Life is like Tango... sad, sensual, sexy, violent and quiet."

No comments: