Thursday, July 19, 2007

So by the way, I'm leaving and I need your help...

My work email this morning included an email mentioning my semi annual review. I find myself going into the review in a bit of a predicament. My bosses and I have discussed the possibility of Grad school before, but for me, it was always something on the horizon. I kept putting off the GMAT, which is probably one of the most important steps, so there was nothing to think about in the long haul. Now, I'm two days post GMAT and I've switched from researching local part time programs to brand name full time programs. It's amazing what a score does.

I haven't narrowed down any choices yet. I'm looking at the big picture for the moment, but I do know I'm going to need some letters of recommendation. I would say that my bosses "love me". I've become an integral part of the organization and the best way to describe what I do is that I keep the firm running. In a small organization, such as this, you wear many hats. My job isn't easily defined and I'm often doing ad hoc tasks.

I'm starting to wonder what I tell them in this upcoming meeting. I've always stressed being up front and honest with them. I doubt my job would be able to be done via telecommuting, but it is something I'd consider. I would never leave them high and dry, but I know it's time for me to do this for myself.

My older boss is well connected in the business world. He also attended Stanford for both his undergrad as well as his MBA. It'll be interesting to see if he can help me at all. If so, perhaps I could continue to work part time with a pay cut. I've also recently found out that a teammate of mine went to Northwestern. I feel she will be a great source of reference and advice. And finally another teammate of mine is attending Harvard next year. He has done lots of research and can hopefully steer me in the right direction for what I want to do. I'm very lucky to know so many highly educated people.

Now I just need to solidify what I tell work. I guess it's best to go with the truth. I'm not quite sure where I'm going, but I'm keeping my options open and I plan on starting school in Fall of 2008.

No comments: