Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Something lingering

It's nice to have the house to myself every once in a while. I will admit though, if I lived there alone on a consistent basis, I would prefer something a lot smaller. There are a lot of nooks and crannies in my house and I'll admit, the imagination got the best of me last night. As I crawled into bed continuing to study, I heard the trees creek outside. We've been sleeping with the balcony door open so that the dogs may bark at the deer. Strange if you ask me, but so far, it's kept the deer out of the newly planted yard.

As I laid there, light music in the background, I heard the bustle of wind outside. It isn't the wind that is scary though. It's the thought of what is lurking in the shadows. We recently wired almost the entire house with cameras. I should feel safer, but the opposite happens. I tend to feel a bit lonely, and nervous. It's nice to have the dogs around, but given the area I live, it's quite dark outside. When they start barking, I'm not sure if it's something to worry about or just a deer. I leave my door open so that the dogs may roam in and out of my room. It makes the room seem larger than it is and more open. It's almost uncomfortable. There's something strangely comforting about having the door closed. You feel safer.

My brother returned home a little before 11 pm, so tonight it shouldn't be as dark and dim.

No comments: