Friday, November 30, 2007

OMFG... I'm done!

It is Friday November 30th and I have had 8 hours of sleep in the last three days, but I feel renewed excitement as I just clicked the "submit" button to what I'm hoping will be my final business school application. This long process started sometime this past February when I decided it was time to attempt the GMAT, a test which I had put off for a solid 11 months. Initially, I purchased a book from Borders with a gift card I received for Christmas last year. My boyfriend at the time was a full-time student finishing up at a university, which made studying together an easy and productive activity. Even though I took a Kaplan class in 2006, I knew I needed more materials if I was to succeed on the GMAT. Thus, I purchased 7 books off Craigslist for $100 and with these books came 10 minutes of the Brit's time - an invaluable 10 minutes it was.

I put myself on a self-study schedule and commencing in May 2007, I quit drinking for practically two months. However, I did not restrain myself from continuing to enjoy my life. Although I was disciplined, studying each day after work during the week and 5-6 hours each day on the weekend, I still went out every weekend and played soccer regularly throughout the week. Additionally, I focused on getting back into peak condition. Basically life was soccer, gym, studying and work.

July 16, 2007 was the date I set for the GMAT. This day was a Monday, two days before my 25th birthday. I had forgone researching schools because my original plan was to score a 600 and attend the University of San Francisco part time MBA program. Needless to say, I outdid myself and walked out of the testing center with a glowing smile. Consequently, I had thrust myself into a whole new ballgame with endless options.

I started basic research utilizing rankings, school websites, and other search engines. The first information session I attended was that of Wharton. Though very interesting and an inviting program, I chose not to apply because of the level of competition. In the end, it probably doesn’t matter. The most valuable resource I found was the San Francisco MBA Tour. A number of schools attended and presented 30 minute presentations about their programs. Furthermore, the fact that the MBA tour was early in year was an incredible benefit. There were approximately 8 different session times with about the same number of choices in schools for each session. The schools were cascaded so that you may attend 8 different schools for the day, or only see the schools to which you are interested. Subsequently, I chose to attend sessions for Michigan, USC, UCLA, Duke, Texas, and Georgetown. As my interest piqued, I continued in depth research of each school and viewed their list of Bay Area information sessions. For the majority of schools to which I applied, I had at least two instances of direct contact with officials, students or alumni of the school.

After four applications and a few more than a dozen essays, it is safe to say, I'm spent. I can no longer adequately pretend that I enjoy watching which words I type, which conjunctions I utilize, if I add a comma or not, if my transitions present sufficient flow, if I need to delete a word because I'm over limit, or whatever other minute details seem not to matter at this moment. Luckily, I should not have to resume this sort of analysis.

Now however, the waiting game begins. With my Kellogg and Georgetown interviews complete, I simply await answers. Conversely, I await answers from Virginia and Michigan, but hopefully in the form of interview invites.

Here's hoping, wishing, and all that jazz. Best of luck to other candidates of the hopeful MBA classes of 2010. Thus far, it's been an experience. On that note, I'm signing off for the weekend. My shoulder hurts from immeasurable hours on the computer and my body desires a long slumber.

1 comment:

JulyDream said...

Thank you Leticia! Unfortunately, my foreign language skills are limited to broken French, but I appreciate the comment. :)

Brief translation:


I liked a lot of post and your blog is very interesting, I always go through here =) then gives a passadinha there in the mine, which is about sentences and poetry, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mil-frases.blogspot.com him. A hug.